What is LoRa WAN technology?
LoRa WAN is a low power wide area network technology (LP-WAN) designed for Internet of Things (IoT) and smart sensor applications. As the name implies, long range transmission capability with less power consumption makes LoRa a significant player in IoT networks.
In LoRa technology, a message transmitted by any device can be received by single or multiple gateways. The received messages will be forwarded to the central network for processing. Smart server architecture will handle these messages to each related applications.
LoRa alliance is an open, nonprofit organization of members that standardize, develop, monitors and improves LoRa standard. Internet of Things is one of the major drivers behind this highly efficient LP-WAN technology.
LoRa WAN Specification
Standard: LoRa WAN technology follows IEEE 802.15.4 standard
Frequency: License free ISM bands 433, 868, 915 MHz
Bandwidth: 125 KHz, 250 KHz and 500 KHz
Modulation: Chirp spread spectrum based modulation (suitable for better sensitivity)
Data rate: Up to 50 kbps
Range: Up to 20 KM
What is a LoRa Gateway?
LoRa gateway is a sophisticated software architecture designed to carry out communication in LoRa network terminology. It acts as a smart hub between end devices and application network server. In future, it will be preinstalled on all IoT enabled hardware to support wide range of applications.
Advantages of LoRa WAN (challenges of LP-WAN)
- Long battery life for devices and sensors due to low power consumption
- Low cost implementation due to low cost hardware and unlicensed spectrum
- Long range coverage and in-building penetration
- Less complexity in programming
- Offers a secure transmission network
- Scalable network to support future upgrades
- Ease of access and connectivity to the cloud applications
- Remote management and control access
- Highly intelligent architecture
Application and future of LoRa WAN technology
Smart City: LoRa WAN will be inevitable technology in future smart city applications together with Internet of Things like:
- Smart lighting
- Air quality and pollution monitoring
- Smart parking and vehicle management
- Facilities and infrastructure management
- Fire detection and management
- Waste management
Industrial Applications: LoRa WAN is suitable for wide range of industrial applications.
- Radiation and leak detection
- Smart sensor technology
- Item location and tracking
- Shipping and transportation
Smart home applications: In future, billions of smart devices and home appliances will be connected to internet.
- Enhanced home security
- Home automation for IoT enables smart appliances
Healthcare: LoRa is one of the best solutions for connecting healthcare devices efficiently
- Health monitoring devices and management
- Wearable technology
Agriculture: LoRa technology can be used in smart agriculture and farming applications.
- Smart farming and livestock management
- Temperature and moisture monitoring
- Water level sensors and irrigation control
In future, our global, national and regional networks have to support billions or even trillions of devices. LoRa can play a significant role for providing a smart, low cost and highly efficient network for future applications. It has an association of more than 400 companies globally to contribute, improve and implement smart network for future needs.