Long waited 5G technology is coming to a reality soon. 5G requires integration of many technology providers, mobile operators and enterprises worldwide. What are the top technology providers of 5G?
Qualcomm is one the leaders in the wireless communications focused on developing and commercializing digital communication technologies like CDMA, LTE and 5G.
In the beginning of 1990s Qualcomm has developed complex waveform modulations techniques like code division multiple access (CDMA) and later developed Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiple Access technology which is base concept used in long term evolution (LTE).
Qualcomm’s CDMA technologies (QCT), Qualcomm technology licensing (QTL) and Qualcomm strategic initiatives (QSI) are responsible for developing, standardizing and commercialization of major wireless protocols used in mobile communications in the past three decades.
Another great strength of Qualcomm is its globally accepted data modems and Snapdragon processors powering millions of devices across the globe. Qualcomm a pioneer in semiconductor technology, announced Qualcomm Snapdragon X50 – world’s first 5G-NR (new radio) multimode modem for future 5G devices. It can support fiber-like speed on mobile devices, low latency for real-time interactivity enhanced capacity for unlimited data plans.
QCT segment from Qualcomm offers reference design for development, RF front end modules with power amplifiers and highly efficient communication modems. Moreover, it has been developing portfolio of integrated circuit products for all wireless devices and infrastructure, WLAN, 3G, LTE and LTE advanced version. Qualcomm holds 15 percentages (estimated) of the patents for 5G technology especially in the waveform segment, modulation schemes and 5G-NR.
- Qualcomm Snapdragon series modems and high performance processors to support LTE advanced and 5G technology
- Development and standardization of complex waveforms and advanced modulation techniques (like OFDM for higher spectral efficiency)
- Radio Frequency front end modules, integrated power amplifier solutions and communications modules for mobile devices
- Developments in millimeter waves and new 5G – NR (New Radio) architecture
Intel is another technology giant with long experience in integrated circuit design and semiconductor business. It powers millions of mobile devices, personal computers, higher end servers for cloud computing.
One of the significant applications of 5G using Intel technology is connected PCs. 5G Connected PC will offer all day round battery life, no delay for booting and power efficiency. Intel is capable of providing cloud support for supercharged 5G network and IoT applications.
Intel is one the leaders in semiconductor industry, the key strength of Intel is its sophisticated integrated circuit technology. Since 5G requires to handle huge data rates at low latency, the processors has to be efficient and reliable. It provides high performance processors and integrated circuit chips for autonomous mining, self driving cars, remote assisted surgeries, clinical trials and Internet of Things (IoT) applications.
Advancements in semiconductor technology will further push boundaries of integrated circuit design for various applications. Intel was one of the technology partners for Olympic winter games PyeongChang, it had showcased 5G technology during the game events. As an innovative company, Intel plays a big role in technology evolution like 5G and Internet of Things.
- Intel 5G modem (one of world’s first global modem)
- CPUs, FGPAs and Strong semiconductor experience to solve complex technology integration into chip
- Hardware and software support for machine to machine (M2M), self driving cars, connectivity cloud, healthcare and Internet of Things applications
- Support for integrated heterogeneous network with co-existence with all major technologies like 5G, LTE, Wi-Fi and other wireless technologies
- Baseband signal processors for 5G trial platform
- Communication protocol stack based on powerful Intel Core processors
- Radio frequency unit supporting millimeter waves and massive MIMO integration
Ericsson is yet another big name in wireless communication industry with wide portfolio of radio system for mobile service providers. It provides high efficiency antenna array system with the capability for further enhancements and future upgrades.
Ericsson has been developing Software and hardware for 5G NR system for network enhancements. It supports distributed cloud system which offers greater convenience for users with advanced security. 5G ready distributed cloud system will change multimedia experience for users like high quality video streaming, virtual reality and augmented reality applications.
Ericsson provides powerful solutions including hardware and software support for multimedia, smart healthcare, automobile, transportation, critical control & remote devices, human machine interaction, wide range of sensor support for various industries and broadband anywhere.
Within few years, our second generation GSM networks will be slowly de-commissioned. Ericsson works with all major mobile operators across the globe for deployment of LTE advanced network which will be a base for future 5G upgrade.
- Wide range of Radio systems portfolio to support mobile operators to enhance network performance and continuously adding new variants to Ericsson radio systems capable of 5G-NR
- Scalable network architecture and solutions for LTE advanced and future 5G
- Ericsson radio product supporting massive MIMO essential for transition from 4G to 5G network
- Distributed cloud solutions for Internet of Things and 5G ecosystem
- 5G software ready for network deployment
- High quality multimedia transmission solutions including hardware and management software
Nokia is one of the most experienced technology providers among the mobile and telecommunications network sector. Apart from the base mobile network solutions, Nokia pioneered ultra broadband, IP networks and applications and Internet of Things applications with the use of LTE and future 5G networks.
Nokia’s wide range of solutions include RF elements and module systems, antenna solution for MIMO, Cloud Radio Access Network, Wi-Fi controllers and software solutions for all segments with efficient cloud infrastructure. The IP / optical networking technology and wide area networks (WAN) powers millions of customers and many organizations globally.
Scalable networks infrastructure, strong software and cloud support makes Nokia a preferred technology partner for many network operators and industries across the world. Nokia is focused to deliver products and services for future connected homes, 5G connected events 5G connected industries.
- Radio Access network solutions (AirScale RAN)
- Hardware and integrated software solutions for cloud-based applications
- Cloud Packet Core for enhanced mobile broadband and IoT
- Mobile Transport – 5G Anyhaul solutions for increasing connectivity challenges
- Smartphone portfolio for LTE advanced and future 5G network access (under development)
Huawei is one of the fastest growing Smartphone brand and telecommunication company globally recognizable today. It has the technology, infrastructure and technical know-how to move forward faster than its competitors.
Huawei started its journey with production of phone switches and its focus on developing new technologies made them a successful brand. It produces millions of Smartphones every year and ship to every corner of the world. It has strong position in wearable technology and smart home application.
Despite being strong as a telecommunication company, Huawei also have solutions for 5G based self driving cars, millimeter wave technology for communication and automobile industry. It provides wide range of products for wireless network, access network, cloud computing, LTE broadband, IP telephony, wireless routers, servers and software for efficient.
- Solutions for WLAN, fixed network, Cloud Core Network and IT infrastructure
- Enterprise solutions for Access Network, Cloud computing, eLTE broadband, GSM-R, IP telephony, high performance routers, security, server solutions and management systems
- High performance transport network, video surveillance solutions
- High end smart phone portfolio
- Smart home applications and solutions for 5G and Internet of Things
Samsung is yet another most popular consumer electronics brand in the world with products ranging from smart phones to computer storage devices, consumer appliances and smart home solutions in their product portfolio. It plays an important role in developing new generation of smart devices and solutions for 5G technologies.
Samsung has a sophisticated semiconductor wafer processing facility capable of developing new wireless modems, signal processors, integrated power amplifier modules and communication modules. Due to huge demand for smart devices and appliances which support Internet of Things, Samsung will secure its position as technology provider in the future.
Samsung provides radio access solutions with high performance hardware and feature-rich software to solve complex challenges and enhancing network experience. Small cell antenna modules with small form factor, complete WLAN solutions and MIMO antenna arrays are significant for cost effective 5G deployment.
- Radio Access solution to solve complex tasks and enhance overall network experience
- Powerful semiconductor base for processors and 5G modem development
- 5G-ready appliances and wide range of product portfolio for IoT
- Solutions for small cell (micro, nano and femto cell) deployment
- Complete wireless LAN (WLAN) solution for enterprise
ZTE is another major technology player in LTE advanced and 5G engaged in design, development, distribution and installation of technology and equipment worldwide. It is one the fastest growing company in wireless and information and communication technology (ICT) sector.
ZTE has been working with many technology partners for LTE network committed to ensure smooth transition bridge towards 5G network. Other major area of focus includes machine to machine communication, human to machine communication and Internet of Things (IoT) applications.
ZTE has significant role in developing practical solutions to support massive data rates, low latency solutions for critical applications and millimeter waves spectrum utilization (5G – NR).
- Base stations, distributed base station, micro base station and small cell solutions
- Solutions for voice communication, optical transmission, data communication and provides solutions for unified, adaptable network to support different scenarios
- Filter Bank –Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing (multi-career technology proposed for 5G network)
- Solutions for Internet of Things and smart home
- Solutions for enhanced mobile broadband with low latency
Due to higher demand for faster, efficient, scalable and reliable wireless network, 5G has been evolving faster than expected. Major companies actively working on 5G technology has already demonstrated 5G data transfer rates, latency and network capability. Analysts estimates that earliest commercial 5G deployment could be possible at the end of 2018 or early 2019.
Please let me know what your thoughts/comments are on this: